What You Can Do To Help The Hawaiian Monk Seal

What Can You Do banner

Be a Good Neighbor to Hawaiian Monk Seals

Assist Monk Seal Researchers

Help Monk Seals In Need

  • Report stranded or entangled marine mammals. Call the NOAA Fisheries Marine Mammal Hotline at 1-888-256-9840.
  • Report monk seal harassment to NOAA Fisheries Office of Law Enforcement at 1-800-853-1964.

Inform Yourself and Others about Monk Seals


  • Volunteers help put up signs near hauled-out monk seals to help protect them from disturbance, and educate beachgoers about monk seal natural history and responsible viewing of this endangered species. For more information or to apply to be a volunteer, contact your island's Marine Mammal Response Coordinator.

Pick Up Marine Debris on the Beach